Exercise - dress appropriately
Toggle: English / Spanish
Dressing appropriately is important when exercising in cold weather. Here are some tips to consider:
- Wear several layers, including gloves and a hat. Remove layers when you warm up, and replace them during the slower portions of your workout.
- If it is snowing or icy, be extra careful to not fall.
- Remember, you can still become dehydrated in cold weather, you still need plenty of fluid before, during, and after exercise.
- Last reviewed on 1/14/2010
- Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.