No other single organization can offer you the variety of nursing specialties, progressive technologies, invigorating pace and opportunities for advancement than you'll find right here at UMMC. Every day, you'll discover new opportunities to take your nursing career to the next level. And, whether you are a new graduate or experienced professional, you'll find our exciting academic environment can give you the training and support that will make your work exciting for the life of your nursing career.
Most importantly, you'll find the kind of collaborative, collegiate spirit that supports true professional growth. Together, we are advancing the practice of nursing, every day, at UMMC. Select the links below, and learn about the dynamic growth opportunities available at UMMC:
University of Maryland Medical Center's wide range of outpatient and ambulatory medical services, surgical services and highly specialized clinical programs offer nurses tremendous opportunity for growth and development. Here, you'll find over 100 outpatient and ambulatory programs in areas from neurology to shock trauma, oncology to primary care.
- Our University Health Center is home to multiple specialty clinics, including the Resident's Internal Medicine Clinic, Anticoagulation Clinic, Sleep Disorder Center, the Post Transplant Clinic, Nephrology and Early Renal Insufficiency clinics, Chest Clinic, Endocrine and Adult Genetics clinics, Rheumatology, Gastroenterology and Podiatry clinics.
- Surgery Specialty Clinics in Urology, Neurosurgery, and non-cosmetic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery provide our patients with a comfortable environment for surgical procedures that do not require hospital admission.
- The Joslin Diabetes Center at UMMC is affiliated with the world-renowned Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, and is the only affiliated center in the region. Our programs help children and adults with diabetes take charge of their own health and well-being.
- The Neurology Ambulatory Center provides a full continuum of care for adults with all neurological conditions, including stroke, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease and multiple sclerosis.
- Our Pediatrics Clinic offers a wide variety of clinical specialties, including Allergy and Pulmonology, Adolescent Medicine, Behavioral and Development, Cardiology, Feeding and Nutrition, Gastroenterology, Genetics, Immunology, Neurology and Nephrology.
- The AeroDigestive Center (GI/General Surgery) combines the specialties of gastroenterology, general surgery and pulmonary medicine to treat a broad range of aerodigestive diseases and disorders, such as GERD and inflammatory bowel disease.
- The Evelyn Jordan Center (HIV/Infectious Disease) provides comprehensive outpatient care and support for people living with complicated viral and infectious diseases, such as hepatitis, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Human Papilloma Virus (HPV).
- The Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Clinic provides care for patients suffering from facial injuries or who experience such conditions as impacted wisdom teeth, facial and TMJ pain and abnormal jaws.
- The Otorhinolaryngology Clinic (ENT) provides comprehensive care to adult and pediatric patients presenting for treatment related to ear, nose and throat, as well as head and neck diagnoses. Our specialty areas include Otology, Laryngology, Facial Trauma, and Head and Neck Cancer.
You'll enjoy the satisfaction of working in a relationship-based care delivery model, within an evidence-based practice where your voice is heard and where true collaboration yields better care. You'll also find UMMC the perfect place to grow, with learning, networking and mentoring opportunities that can help you take your career to incredible places.
At UMMC, Ambulatory Nurses have the opportunity to work a variety of hours, depending on their specific clinical area and their role. Most UMMC ambulatory clinics are open Monday through Friday. No matter what clinical area you choose, though, you'll enjoy a fast-paced and supportive learning environment, where you'll work at the leading edge of your field and with a team dedicated to providing care that's patient focused and outcome oriented.
Nationally respected for its achievements in the pioneering development of leading-edge medical and surgical techniques, UMMC is home to the most advanced diagnostics, treatments and procedures for patients with coronary heart disease, valvular disease, heart failure and circulatory system disorders. The center is recognized for its expertise in minimally invasive heart bypass and valve surgery, heart transplants and pioneering work with heart pumps.
- 14-bed Progressive Care Unit (PCU) - patients with acute coronary illnesses and those requiring post-interventional care receive close monitoring from our cardiac nursing specialists and quick response from an excellent interdisciplinary team
- 15-bed Cardiac Care Unit (CCU) - state-of-the-art technology and a specially trained cardiac nursing team meet the needs of patients with critical cardiac and other medical issues
- 19-bed Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit (CSICU) - heart surgery patients receive around-the-clock personalized care that helps optimize patient outcomes with two Post Anesthesia Recovery Units for Shock Trauma and Adult
- The Cardiac Surgery Stepdown unit is a new, state-of-the-art 23-bed unit providing care in a patient centered, interdisciplinary team environment. A wide variety of diagnoses presents constant professional challenges and growth. Coronary artery bypass grafts, valve repairs and replacements, aortic aneurysm repairs, heart and lung transplants and several different ventricular assist devices are but a few of the many cardiac surgical diagnoses you will experience.
Patients at the Heart Center benefit from tests and diagnostic procedures performed in our Cardiac Catheterization Lab, where more than 2,500 procedures are done each year, including diagnostic cardiac catheterization, angioplasty, intracoronary stenting, intravascular ultrasound, rotoblader, percusurge, beta radiation therapy and cardiac biopsy. Our Electrophysiology Lab, with two state-of-the-art EP suites, helps physicians diagnose the causes of arrhythmias and treat them with pacemakers, defibrillators, medications or ablation.
At the Department of Emergency Medicine, we meet the needs of the 46,000 patients who visit us each year by providing a broad range of services: medical and surgical emergency services, a Chest Pain Evaluation Center, Rape Crisis Center, medical direction and oversight for psychiatric emergencies, and Maryland ExpressCare, which provides consultation with specialists, patient admission coordination and transportation for critically ill patients.
- Rapid Diagnostic Unit - treats patients with relatively straightforward conditions that don't require extensive tests or consultation
- Adult ER - features 54 private exam rooms and advanced digital radiological equipment (CT scans, ultrasound and x-ray), and a comfortable waiting area
- Pediatric Emergency - 16 treatment areas, many glass enclosed, provide a quiet, safe environment that enhances patient and family comfort
- Psychiatric Urgent Care - provides urgent psychiatric assessment, valuation and referral, as well as consultation services, to Adult and Pediatric Emergency
Dedicated to providing excellent patient care, educating medical professionals, and furthering basic and clinical research, we offer emergency nursing professionals that are passionate about their profession unparalleled opportunities to learn and grow.
The 12 divisions that make up our Department of Medicine offer patients comprehensive evaluation, treatment and management of a range of medical conditions. Here, nurses in a wide variety of nursing specialties, including ICU nursing, gastroenterology nursing and pulmonary nursing specialties, can write their own success story by combining their talents and our leading-edge technology.
- Medical Intensive Care Unit - in this 10-bed unit, patients with acute or potentially life-threatening medical conditions receive excellent care from our ICU nursing staff
- Dialysis - our in-hospital center provides dialysis for medically high-risk patients
Our dedicated pulmonary procedure unit and comprehensive pulmonary function laboratory allow us to diagnose and manage disorders affecting the lung and pulmonary circulation. And, thousands of procedures, including therapeutic ERCP, biliary manometry, laser and photodynamic therapy, are performed using state-of-the-art video endoscopy, endoscopic ultrasound and an array of other equipment. Our innovative and progressive environment will inspire your best.
Patients with a wide range of neurological conditions, including chronic, medically complex cases, benefit from the broad array of treatments offered by our Department of Neurology. Ranked as one of the ten best in the nation, we offer some of the most advanced treatments available to resolve or manage conditions ranging from brain attack, MS, neurotrauma and Alzheimer's disease, to chronic pain, sleep disorders and migraines.
- Neurocare ICU - in our 12-bed unit, we treat a wide variety of neurological impairments, ranging from central nervous system impairment, strokes and hemorrhages, to postoperative recovery from neurosurgery
- Neurocare IMC - the 14-bed unit offers challenging diagnoses: central nervous system impairment and seizure and neuromuscular disorders, and offers postoperative care and ventro-peritoneal shunt placement and revision
The most experienced center of its kind, our Gamma Knife Center has treated more than 2,000 patients. With minimal and transient side effects, this non-invasive surgery means reduced treatment time, faster recovery, fewer complications, and improved consistency and safety. For ICU Nurses, Acute Care Nurses, perioperative nurses and neurosurgical nursing specialists, our innovative environment takes nursing careers to a new level.
University of Maryland Women's Health offers personalized, patient-centered care. We are also involved in exciting research resulting in important advances in the treatment of infertility, fetal abnormalities, high-risk pregnancy, critical-care and general obstetrics, gynecologic cancer and urogynecology. As part of our team of talented obstetricians, gynecologists, midwives and practitioners, and OB/GYN nursing specialists, you'll have exciting opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Labor and Delivery - in this 9-bed unit, we handle a wide range of high-risk and complicated obstetric patients
- GYN - provides patients with antepartum, postpartum and newborn care that supports the integration of the delivery experience into family life, as well as complete gynecologic services, including the medical or surgical management of reproductive disorders
- Mother Baby Unit - While newborns may stay in their mothers' rooms, a nearby nursery is available, when needed. Staff members, including lactation specialists, help mothers learn to care for and feed their babies.
- Center for Advanced Fetal Care - this world-class clinical and research facility evaluates and treats fetal abnormalities, using 3-D ultrasound, fetal MRI, fetal blood sampling, fetoscopy and other groundbreaking diagnostic tools and procedures - many developed right here
Women's Health offers labor and delivery nurses and OB/GYN nursing specialists, and a host of other nursing professionals exciting opportunities to work at the leading edge of their field and offers women unparalleled care at every stage of life. You can take your career in exciting, new directions and build a very rewarding career with our world-renowned team.
As part of an academic medical community, our Greenebaum Cancer Center integrates cutting-edge treatment with research leadership and a commitment to medical education. The oncology nursing staff at UMMC helps us provide the most innovative and personalized care possible. Discover the leading-edge environment that can take your career further at UMMC!
- Blood and Marrow Transplant Unit - provides patients with bone marrow and stem cell transplantation, and benefit from cutting-edge research, in a comfortable, state-of-the-art facility
- Stoler Pavilion - with 28 exam rooms, a 22-bay infusion therapy area, 3 treatment rooms, a phlebotomy room, conference rooms and a satellite pharmacy, convenient and comprehensive care is provided in a comfortable outpatient setting
- Chemotherapy Infusion Service - patients receive leading-edge treatments in a 22-bay area, equipped with flat screen monitors and Internet access
- Radiation Oncology - the first to use the fully integrated Trilogy linear accelerator, and a leader in researching better ways to treat cancer with radiotherapy, we offer advanced therapies and customized treatment plans
Because we conduct a large number of clinical trials, patients are often able to take advantage of new therapies long before they become generally available. For oncology nurses looking for the excitement of working in a leading-edge environment and being part of this rapidly changing field, the Greenebaum Cancer Center is the place for you.
Recognized as a center of excellence for children with critical illnesses and complex, chronic conditions, the University of Maryland Hospital for Children combines state-of-the-art medicine with family-centered care. With highly trained medical professionals, well-funded research, and a special pharmacy and pediatric emergency room, we can provide the very best care. It makes this the ideal place for any pediatric nursing professional.
- Pediatric Intensive and Intermediate Care Unit - our 10-bed PICU provides state-of-the-art multidisciplinary critical care for children with life-threatening medical or surgical conditions; the 14-bed PIMCU serves patients with special needs or who require close monitoring
- Pediatric Cath Lab - provides interventional catheterization such as PDA closure, valvotomy and arterial stents and ASD Amplatzer Device closure, as well as radio frequency catheter ablation for arrhythmias
With procedures, equipment, rooms and care especially suited to children, our team and facility address the needs of the whole patient and his or her family. No matter what pediatric nursing specialty you are interested in, you won't find a more satisfying environment in which to learn and grow.
Well known for our innovative techniques and technologically advanced facilities, we are recognized leaders in surgical areas, such as minimally invasive surgery, neurosurgery, pioneering cardiac surgery, groundbreaking orthopaedic procedures and organ transplantation.
- General Operating Room (GOR) - a 24-bed OR where our OR nurses assist with all types of surgical procedures, including Plastics, Vascular, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Transplant, ENT, Ophthalmology, Urology, GYN, Thoracic and General Surgery
- Shock Trauma Operating Rooms - these 6 state-of-the-art operating rooms are contiguous with the Trauma Resuscitation Unit and Post-Anesthesia Care Unit; Room One is stocked and set up at all times to accept patients
- Post-Anesthesia Recovery Unit - these 9 patient care areas, including 2 for isolation of infected patients, are equipped with negative airflow and hemodynamic monitors, and staffed 24 hours a day
Making sure the OR runs smoothly, assisting with surgeries and caring for patient before, during and after complex and leading-edge surgical procedures can provide professional and personal satisfaction. For OR nursing professionals, the opportunities are more exciting here.
Inpatient, outpatient, adult, geriatric, adolescent and child-whatever your interest and training our Department of Psychiatry offers exciting opportunities for psychiatric nursing specialists to do your best work. A collaborative team of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists and psychiatric nursing specialists treat patients with mental health issues, including various disorders, addictions, behavioral problems and phobias.
- Adult Acute Care - this 31-bed unit provides inpatient services for a general adult population
- Geriatric Acute Care - a 13-bed inpatient service meets the special psychiatric needs of older patients
- Pediatric Acute Care - children, age 12 and under, receive inpatient treatment in this 12-bed behavioral health unit
- Adult, Gero and Child Partial Hospital Program - a multidisciplinary psychiatric program for hospital diversion or step-down treatment from acute care
We also provide specialized community services, employee assistance programs, team assistance programs and consultation, treatment, evaluation and medication management for a number of organizations. If you're a psychiatric nurse who is passionate about the kind of healing that reaches body, mind and spirit, join this team.
As a member of the Supplemental Nursing unit at University of Maryland Medical Center, you can practice in any number of world-class clinical specialties and practice settings, from Shock Trauma to Neurology, and from surgical specialties to outpatient care. Our unit supports every unit of the hospital, meeting acute needs and filling in for nurses who are out ill, on medical leave or vacation.
As a Supplemental Nurse at UMMC, you can work as little as 24 hours a month, or choose to work more - our scheduling guidelines maximize your options. It's a great opportunity to work your schedule around family, school and other obligations as well as develop an extensive network of colleagues throughout the hospital. And, unlike agency nursing, you can enjoy the benefits of being a hospital employee at one of the nation's leading teaching hospitals:
- Work shoulder-to-shoulder with the nation's best in a wide array of specialty areas.
- Work the hours that fit your life. Log-in from home to create your own schedule.
- Full-time benefits available after demonstrating commitment to the program.
- Take advantage of in-house educational resources that can help you further your career.
Nurses must have 1 year Medical Surgical experience or 2 years within an ICU environment to qualify.
UMMC Supplemental Nursing is the ideal unit for seasoned nurses looking for more variety in their career, or for any nurse who wants to find the clinical area that is the perfect fit. It's also a wise choice for nurses who want to work at the leading edge of their field but need more flexibility to balance family or personal commitments.
As an OR nurse in our Department of Surgery, you'll have the opportunity to assist some of the country's best surgeons with complex cases in new, state-of-the-art operating rooms. In service 24/7, our general ORs handle approximately 40 patients every weekday and 10 during the weekend. As a surgical nurse at UMMC, you'll experience a variety of cases include cardiac, dental/oral-maxillofacial, general, gynecologic, genitourinary, pediatric, plastic, surgical oncology, thoracic, transplant and vascular.
- General Acute Unit - 17 ORs handle a wide variety of patients
- Division of Transplantation Surgery - evaluates and provides specialized care for patients with kidney, pancreas, heart, lung and liver disease
- Orthopaedic Unit - treats a variety of musculoskeletal conditions with innovative non-invasive and surgical procedures, including total joint replacement (hip, knee, ankle, shoulder elbow, wrist and fingers)
- Surgical Intensive and Intermediate Care - our Surgical ICU provides state-of-the-art multidisciplinary critical care for adults with life-threatening medical or surgical conditions; the IMCU serves patients with special needs or who require close monitoring
- Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory - patients are examined using Doppler ultrasound techniques, allowing the diagnosis of vascular disorders
Our surgeons are nationally respected pioneers in minimally invasive procedures. Combining individual expertise with a multidisciplinary approach, we can offer the most advanced treatment options and treat cases that range from routine to complex. You'll have endless opportunities to learn and grow as a surgical nurse as a member of this prestigious team.
At the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, the nation's only trauma hospital, we treat severely injured patients, using groundbreaking research and innovative treatments and procedures. Our highly skilled and dedicated team of trauma nursing professionals treats more than 7,000 patients each year, with a survival rate of over 96%.
- Trauma Resuscitation Unit - 13-bay area where initial treatment and resuscitation are performed
- Critical Care Unit - a 12-bed unit, providing state-of-the-art care for patients with life-threatening injuries
- Intermediate Care Unit - this 12-bed unit serves patients who require close monitoring
- Operating Rooms - these 6 state-of-the-art operating rooms are contiguous with the Trauma Resuscitation Unit and Post-Anesthesia Care Unit; Room One is stocked and set up at all times to accept patients
- Our dedicated Radiology and Pharmacy team also play a crucial role in patient care and recovery
- STAT Lab - an on-site laboratory that provides immediate turnaround of specimens; testing includes blood gases, CBC, coagulation testing and limited chemistries
- Outpatient Clinic - serves patients requiring ambulatory follow-up procedures
We are proud to be Maryland's Primary Adult Resource Center for Trauma, and excited to be part of the state's TRAUMA TEAM, which includes EMS personnel, more than 30,000 EMS providers, MSP Aviation and hospital staff. Discover an exciting career in trauma nursing, and make the most of your skills where minute counts and your contributions always make a critical difference.