Treats an infection called infant botulism in infants under 1 year of age. Botulism is a type of food poisoning caused by a bacteria that lives in soil and in contaminated food. The bacteria (toxin) gets into the body when a person eats infected food. Then the toxin grows inside the intestines and causes illness.
Your child should not receive this medicine if he or she has had an allergic reaction to any type of immune globulin. This would include medicines given after a kidney transplant. Other types of immune globulin include Respigam®, RhoGam®, BabyRho®, or immune globulins to prevent hepatitis, tetanus, or chickenpox.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Vaccines and other shots may not work as well if your child receives them during treatment with botulism immune globulin. This effect may last up to 5 months. Talk to your child's doctor about the best immunization schedule for your baby.
Make sure your child's doctor knows if the baby has diabetes or kidney disease.
This medicine is made from human blood products. Many people are worried about getting AIDS, hepatitis, or West Nile Virus from a blood transfusion. The risk of this happening is rare. Blood banks test all donated blood for AIDS, hepatitis, and West Nile Virus.
Children may get botulism from eating honey, but most people can eat honey safely without getting infected. Babies are more likely to get infected from eating honey because their intestines are more sensitive to the bacteria.
Do not feed honey to any child under the age of 12 months. Do not use honey on a bottle nipple or pacifier to make the baby take it easier. Do not put honey on your nipples if you are breast feeding your baby. Even a small amount of honey could cause the baby to develop botulism.