Skull fracture - Prevention
Basilar skull fracture; Depressed skull fracture; Linear skull fracture
1. Use car seats or seat belts whenever in a motor vehicle.
2. Use helmets whenever biking, skating, skiing, climbing, or playing contact sports.
3. Use equipment designed specifically for the type of sport or recreation in which you are participating.
4. Provide appropriate supervision for children of any age.
5. Do not allow children to bike or skate at night.
6. Provide and wear highly visible clothing.
7. Teach children to obey traffic rules and signals.
8. Educate individuals about risks of various work, recreational, or sport activities and how to avoid injury.
9. Report any concerns you might have about abuse.
- Reviewed last on: 1/14/2010
- Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
Biros MH, Heegaard WE. Head injury. In: Marx JA, ed. Rosen’s Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2009:chap 38.
Leveque JC. Hoff JT. Neurosurgery. In: Greenfield LJ, Mulholland MW, Oldham KT, Zelenock GB, Lillemoe KD, eds. Greenfield's Surgery: Scientific Principles and Practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2005:chap 114.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885