Superficial thrombophlebitis - Overview
Thrombophlebitis - superficial
Definition of Superficial thrombophlebitis:
Superficial thrombophlebitis is inflammation of a vein due to a blood clot in a vein located just below the skin's surface.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors:
Superficial thrombophlebitis may occur after injury to the vein or the recent use of an intravenous (IV) line or catheter. It may also develop for no apparent reason in persons at risk for the condition.
Risks for superficial thrombophlebitis include:
- Chemical irritation of the area
- Disorders that involve increased blood clotting
- Sitting or staying still for a prolonged period
- Use of birth control pills
- Varicose veins
Superficial thrombophlebitis may be associated with:
Other rare disorders associated this condition include Antithrombin III (AT-III), Protein C and Protein S deficiencies.
- Reviewed last on: 4/30/2010
- Linda Vorvick, MD, Seattle Site Coordinator, Lecturer, Pathophysiology, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, University of Washington School of Medicine; and Emile Riggs Mohler III, MD, Vascular Medicine, Associate Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
Deitcher SR. Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention of Cancer-Related Venous Thrombosis. In: Abeloff MD, Armitage JO, Niederhuber JE, Kastan MB, McKenna WG, eds. Abeloff’s Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone; 2008:chap 46.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885