Gastric cancer - Symptom
Cancer - stomach; Stomach cancer; Gastric carcinoma; Adenocarcinoma of the stomach
- Abdominal fullness or pain
- Dark stools
- Difficulty swallowing, especially if it increases over time
- Excessive belching
- General decline in health
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Premature abdominal fullness after meals
- Vomiting blood
- Weakness or fatigue
- Weight loss (unintentional)
Signs and tests:
Diagnosis is often delayed because symptoms may not occur in the early stages of the disease. Or, patients may self-treat symptoms that gastric cancer has in common with other, less serious gastrointestinal disorders (bloating, gas, heartburn, and a sense of fullness).
The following tests can help diagnose gastric cancer:
- Reviewed last on: 12/28/2010
- David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine; Yi-Bin Chen, MD, Leukemia/Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Massachusetts General Hospital. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
Rustgi AK. Neoplasms of the stomach. In: Goldman L, Ausiello D, eds. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 202.
Gunderson LL, Donohue JH, Alberts SR. Cancer of the stomach. In: Abeloff MD, et al., eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier;2008:chap 79.
National Cancer Institute. Gastric cancer treatment PDQ. Updated July 8, 2010.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885