Chronic unilateral obstructive uropathy - Overview
Ureteral obstruction - chronic; Obstructive uropathy - unilateral - chronic
Definition of Chronic unilateral obstructive uropathy:
Chronic unilateral obstructive uropathy is a condition in which there is long-term blockage of one of the tubes (ureters) that drains urine from the kidneys.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors:
Unilateral obstructive uropathy usually occurs when ureteral or kidney stones block the flow of urine. Urine backs up and causes kidney swelling (hydronephrosis).
Other causes include:
- Narrowing of the ureter that is present at birth (congenital), most commonly right below the kidney, a condition called ureteropelvic junction obstruction
- Injury to the ureter from prior abdominal or pelvic surgery
Risk factors for unilateral obstructive uropathy include:
- Kidney stones
- Tumors in surrounding structures such as uterus, cervix, or lymph nodes
- Ureteral stones and tumors
Chronic unilateral obstructive uropathy occurs in approximately 5 out of every 1,000 people.
- Reviewed last on: 3/22/2010
- Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, University of Washington, School of Medicine; Scott Miller, MD, Urologist in private practice in Atlanta, Georgia. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 9th ed. St. Louis, Mo: WB Saunders; 2007.
Goldman L, Ausiello D, et al. Cecil Textbook of Medicine, 22nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: WB Saunders; 2004:741-742.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885