Chronic inflammatory polyneuropathy - Symptom
Polyneuropathy - chronic inflammatory; CIDP; Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
- Difficulty walking due to weakness
- Difficulty using the arms and hands or legs and feet due to weakness
- Facial weakness
- Sensation changes (usually affects feet first, then the arms and hands)
- Weakness, usually in the arms and hands or legs and feet
Other symptoms that can occur with this disease:
Signs and tests:
The doctor will examine you and ask questions about your medical history. The physical exam shows:
- Loss of muscle mass
- No reflexes
- Muscle weakness
- Sensation problems on both sides of the body
Tests may include:
Which other tests are done depends on the suspected cause of the condition, and may include x-rays, imaging scans, and blood tests.
- Reviewed last on: 8/27/2010
- David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine; Daniel B. Hoch, PhD, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
Shy ME. Peripheral neuropathies. In: Goldman L, Ausiello D, eds. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 446.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885