TMJ disorders - Prevention
TMD; Temporomandibular joint disorders; Temporomandibular muscle disorders
Many of the home-care steps to treat TMJ problems can prevent such problems in the first place:
- Avoid eating hard foods and chewing gum.
- Learn relaxation techniques to reduce overall stress and muscle tension.
- Maintain good posture, especially if you work all day at a computer. Pause often to change position, rest your hands and arms, and relieve stressed muscles.
- Use safety measures to reduce the risk of fractures and dislocations.
- Reviewed last on: 1/10/2010
- Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, University of Washington, School of Medicine and David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc. Also reviewed by Jack D. Rosenberg, DDS, Advanced Dental Care, Palm Beach Gardens, FL. Rosenberg's review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.
American Dental Association. TMD/TMJ (temporomandibular disorders). Available at: http://www.ada.org/public/topics/tmd_tmj.asp.
Beuscher JJ. Temporomandibular joint disorders. Am Fam Physician. 2007;76(10):1477
Hampton T. Improvements needed in management of temporomandibular joint disorders. JAMA. 2008;299(10):1119-1121.
Scrivani SJ, Keith DA, Kaban LB. Temporomandibular disorders. N Engl J Med. 2008;359:2693-2705.
TMJ Disorders. National Institute of Dental or Craniofacial Research. Bethesda, MD. 2009 Feb 11. NIH Publications No. 06-3487. Available at: www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Topics/TMJ/TMJDisorders.htm
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885