Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis - Symptom
SSPE; Subacute sclerosing leukoencephalitis; Dawson´s encephalitis
- Bizarre behavior
- Dementia (loss of cognitive (thought), emotional, and social abilities)
- Gradual behavioral changes
- Myoclonic jerking (quick muscle jerking or spasms)
- School problems
- Unsteady gait
- Very tense muscles or muscles that lack tone, with weakness in both legs
Signs and tests:
There may be a history of measles in an unvaccinated child. A physical examination may reveal:
- Damage to the optic nerve, which is responsible for sight
- Damage to the retina, the part of the eye that receives light
- Muscle twitching
- Poor performance on motor (movement) coordination tests
The following tests may be performed:
- Reviewed last on: 7/26/2010
- Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHA, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
Maldonado YA. Rubeola virus (measles and subacute sclerosing panencephalitis). In: Long SS, Pickering LK, Prober CG, eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone; 2003:chap 227.
Beckham JD, Tyler KL. Encephalitis. In: Mandell GL, Bennett JE, Dolin R, eds. Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone; 2009:chap 87.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885