Acrodermatitis - Symptom
Papular acrodermatitis of childhood; Gianotti-Crosti syndrome; Acrodermatitis - infantile lichenoid; Acrodermatitis - papular infantile; Papulovesicular acro-located syndrome; Acrodermatitis enteropathica
- Rash or patch on skin
- Brownish-red or copper-colored patch that is firm and flat on top
- String of bumps may appear in a line
- Generally not itchy
- Rash looks the same on both sides of the body
- Rash may appear on the palms and soles -- it does not occur on the back, chest, or belly area (this is one of the ways it is identified -- by the absence of the rash from the trunk of the body)
Other symptoms that may appear include:
Signs and tests:
Your doctor can diagnosed this condition by simply looking at the skin and rash. The liver, spleen, and lymph nodes may be swollen.
The following tests may be done to confirm the diagnosis or rule out other conditions:
- Reviewed last on: 5/13/2011
- Kevin Berman, MD, PhD, Atlanta Center for Dermatologic Disease, Atlanta, GA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
More JG. Nutritional Dermatoses. In: Kliegman RM, Behrman RE, Jenson HB, Stanton BF, eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 18th Ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007: chap 670.
Browning J, Levy M. Papules, Nodules, and Ulcers. In: Long SS, Pickering LK, Prober CG. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases.3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008: chap 77.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885