Cobalt chloride; Cobalt oxide; Cobalt sulfate
Cobalt is a naturally occurring element in the earth' s crust. It is a very small part of our environment and very small amounts are needed for many animals and humans to stay healthy.
Cobalt poisoning can occur when you are exposed to large amounts of cobalt. There are three basic ways that cobalt can cause poisoning. You can swallow too much of it, breathe too much into your lungs, or have it come in constant contact with your skin.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Cobalt is a component of vitamin B12, an essential vitamin.
Cobalt may also be found in:
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Goldfrank LR, ed. Goldfrank's Toxicologic Emergencies. 8th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2006.
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885