Sunscreen - swallowing
Sunscreen is a cream or lotion used to protect the skin from the sun's rays. Sunscreen poisoning occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally swallows sunscreen.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Older sunscreens used para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) to protect skin from the sun's rays. However, many of today's suntan lotions are PABA-free. Sunscreens may contain any of the following ingredients:
Note: This list may not include all ingredients.
Note: This list may not include all products containing sunscreen.
McGee DL. Local and topical anesthesia. In: Roberts JR, Hedges JR, eds. Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2009:chap 29.
Kerr F, Krenzelok EP. Salicylates. In: Shannon MW, Borron SW, Burns MJ, eds. Haddad and Winchester's Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:chap 48.
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885