Nail polish poisoning - Overview
Organic solvent syndrome; Psychoorganic syndrome; Chronic solvent encephalopathy
Definition of Nail polish poisoning:
This poisoning is from swallowing or breathing in (inhaling) nail polish.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Butyl acetate
- Ethyl acetate
- Dibutyl phthalate
- Various fingernail polishes
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
- Reviewed last on: 8/3/2011
- Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
Bruckner V, Satheesh S, Warren A, Warren AD. Toxic effects of solvents and vapors. In: Klaassen CD, ed. Casarettand Doull’s Toxicology: The Basic Science of Poisons. 7th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2008:chap 24.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885