Chalk is a form of limestone. Chalk poisoning occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally swallows chalk.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Chalk is generally considered to be nonpoisonous, but it can cause problems if large amounts are swallowed.
Note: This list may not include all uses of chalk.
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885