Endocardial cushion defect - Symptom
Atrioventricular (AV) canal defect; Atrioventricular septal defect; AVSD
Symptoms of ECD may include:
- Baby tires easily
- Bluish skin color (the lips may also be blue)
- Failure to gain weight and grow
- Frequent pneumonia
- Lack of appetite
- Pale skin (pallor)
- Rapid breathing
- Rapid heartbeat
- Swollen legs or abdomen (rare in children)
- Trouble breathing, especially during feeding
Signs and tests:
Signs of ECD may include:
- An abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG)
- An enlarged heart
- Heart murmur
Children with partial ECD, who have only a small VSD and normal valves, may not have signs or symptoms of the disorder during childhood.
Tests to diagnose ECD include:
- Ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram) to see blood flow
- An electrocardiogram (ECG), which measures the electrical activity in the heart
- Chest x-ray, which may show an enlarged heart
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the heart, which provides a detailed image of the heart through the use of powerful magnets
- Cardiac catheterization (in some cases), a procedure in which a thin tube (catheter) is placed into the heart to see blood flow and take accurate measurements of blood pressure and oxygen levels
- Reviewed last on: 4/30/2010
- Kurt R. Schumacher, MD, Pediatric Cardiology, University of Michigan Congenital Heart Center, Ann Arbor, MI. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
Park MK. Pediatric Cardiology for Practitioners, 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2008:181-189:chap 12.
Townsend Jr. CM, Beauchamp RD, Evers BM, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2008:1760-1762.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the
diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be
consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all
medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not
constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885