Established in 1807, the University of Maryland School of Medicine is the fifth oldest medical school in the United States and the first to institute a residency-training program. The School of Medicine was the founding school of the University of Maryland, and today it is an integral part of the 11-campus University System of Maryland. On the University of Maryland, Baltimore campus, the School of Medicine serves as foundation for a large academic health center that combines medical education, biomedical research, patient care and community service. While its traditional excellence remains constant, the School of Medicine and its national reputation continue to grow.
The School of Medicine boasts the oldest building in the Western hemisphere in continuous use for medical education, the meticulously restored Davidge Hall, built in 1812. The University of Maryland, Baltimore campus provides outstanding clinical and research facilities. Research facilities include the 14-story Bressler Research Building, nine-floor Medical School Teaching Facility, Biomedical Research Facility, and Health Sciences Facility buildings.
The University of Maryland Medical Center is a 747-bed tertiary care facility located adjacent to the research buildings. The state-of-the art 326-bed Veterans Affairs Medical Center, completed in 1993, is connected by a short bridge to the Medical Center. Gudelsky Tower, the high-tech University Hospital patient tower opened in 1994, followed in 1995 by complete restructuring and enhancement of the two-block hospital facade and main lobby. The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Building, a new patient care building with facilities for cancer patients, adult and pediatric emergency departments, and future-focused operating rooms opened in 2002. Completed in late 1995, the University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute's Medical Biotechnology Center occupies a 196,000 square foot facility on the campus. The center focuses on medical biotechnology research and training and serves as a catalyst for economic development in health related aspects of molecular biology and medical biotechnology at the basic, applied and clinical levels. The Health Sciences Library opened in April 1998. It provides cutting-edge service and amenities to its users and also serves as a Regional Medical Library of the National Library of Medicine.