Benzoyl peroxide (On the skin)
Benzoyl Peroxide (BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide)
Treats acne and other skin conditions.
Acne Foaming Face Wash, Acne Medication 10, Acne Medication 5, Acne-10, Acne-5, BPO 4% Creamy Wash Complete Pack, BPO 8% Creamy Wash Complete Pack, BPO Foaming Cloths, BPO-10, BPO-5, BenzEFoam, BenzEFoam Ultra, Benzac AC, Benzac AC Wash, Benzac W Wash
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Bar, Cream, Foam, Gel/Jelly, Liquid, Lotion, Pad, Soap
- When you first begin to use this product, apply it to 1 or 2 small affected areas of the skin for 3 days. If no discomfort occurs, follow the directions on the product label or use the medicine as directed by your doctor.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Missed dose:Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you ever had an allergic reaction to an acne product.
- This medicine may bleach your hair or clothes.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Burning, blistering, swollen, or peeling skin
- Swelling of the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild stinging, itching, redness, or dry skin
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.