Brinzolamide (Into the eye)
Treats increased eye pressure caused by glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- If you normally wear soft contact lenses, remove them before you use brinzolamide eyedrops. Wait at least 15 minutes before you put the contact lenses back in.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Shake the eye drops well just before each use.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. You may keep the medicine in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how brinzolamide works. Tell your doctor if you are taking other medicine to treat glaucoma.
- Wait at least 10 minutes after you use this medicine before you use any other eye medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you are allergic to sulfa drugs, or you have kidney disease, an eye infection, or other eye problems.
- This medicine may cause you to have blurred vision for a short time. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- If you hurt your eye, develop an eye infection, or need to have eye surgery, talk with your doctor right away. You may need to change your medicine or stop using it.
- Even though this medicine is used as an eyedrop, your body will absorb the medicine, and this may cause side effects in your mouth, nose, or other body areas.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Blurred vision or changes in vision
- Red, itchy, or swollen eyelids or eyes, or eye pain
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bitter, sour, or unusual taste in your mouth
- Feeling that something is in your eye
- Irritation or dryness of the skin around your eyes
- Watering or dry eyes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.