Camphor/menthol (On the skin)
Camphor (KAM-for), Menthol (MEN-thol)
Treats minor aches and pains in muscles and joints due to arthritis, backache, strains, or sprains.
Arctic Relief, Camphotrex, DermaSarra, Freeze It, Freeze It Feet, Freeze It Xtreme, Men-Phor, Mentholatum, Migranow, Sarna, Soltice Quick-Rub, Sombra, Sombra Natural Pain Relieving, Sore No More, Tiger Balm
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Cream, Stick, Lotion, Gel/Jelly, Ointment
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
- Do not use this medicine with a heating pad or device unless your doctor tells you to.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have sensitive skin.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash, itching, redness, or swelling.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Return of your symptoms a few days after they have cleared up.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.