Castor oil/peru balsam/trypsin (On the skin)
Castor Oil (KAS-tor oyl), Peru Balsam (per-OO BAL-sam), Trypsin (TRIP-sin)
Treats skin ulcers and certain other wounds.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Use this medicine as directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do not apply this medicine on blood clots.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Shake the spray bottle before use. Hold it 12 inches from the skin and spray.
- You may feel a tingling sensation after you apply this medicine.
- Do not inhale this medicine or use it near heat or an open flame. Do not puncture, break, or burn the aerosol can.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Itching or irritation at the site where the medicine is applied
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.