Chlorothiazide (By injection)
Treats edema. This medicine is a diuretic (water pill) and an antihypertensive.
Chlorothiazide Sodium Novaplus, PremierPro RX Chlorothiazide Sodium, Sodium Diuril
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Many other drugs can interact with chlorothiazide. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are taking, including those you get without a prescription.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- Blood pressure medicine
- Insulin, or diabetes medicine that you take by mouth
- NSAIDs, such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib
- Steroid medicine, such as hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisone
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, asthma, lupus, or gout. Tell your doctor if you recently had surgery.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Blood in your urine, or change in how much or how often you urinate
- Confusion, weakness, and muscle twitching
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, burning, itching, or irritation where the needle is placed
- Patchy hair loss
- Headache or joint pain
- Numbness in your feet, legs, or arms
- Problems with sex (in men)
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.