Dextrose (By mouth)
Treats low blood sugar.
Dex4, Dex4 Glucose, Discount Drug Mart Glucose, Glucose Tablets, Glutol, Glutose 15, Glutose 45, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Glucose, Insta-Glucose, ReliOn Glucose Drink, ReliOn Glucose Gel, ReliOn Glucose Tablets
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Gel/Jelly, Liquid, Chewable Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed. Carefully follow all of your doctor's instructions when treating low blood sugar.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Gel: Twist tip off and squeeze entire contents of the tube into mouth and swallow. If no response within 15 minutes, take again another dose. If there is no response within 30 minutes, call a doctor. Do not use the medicine if tube has been opened or punctured.
- Tablet: Chew the tablet before you swallow it. Do not use this medicine if the plastic or foil seal inside is broken.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Missed dose: This medicine is to be used only when needed.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.