Ergonovine (By mouth)
Treats and prevents bleeding from your uterus after childbirth or abortion. This medicine is an ergot alkaloid.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose of ergonovine, call your doctor for instructions. You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are also using other ergot alkaloids such as methylergonovine (Methergine®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease or liver disease. Tell your doctor if you have high blood pressure, blood vessel disease, or heart disease.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have any salt imbalance such as hypocalcemia.
- Before you receive this medicine, make sure your doctor knows if you are sick or have an infection.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Nausea or vomiting, diarrhea or severe pain in your stomach.
- Pale, clammy skin.
- Purple discoloration of your limbs.
- Severe headache, blurred vision.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.