Hydrocortisone (By injection)
Treats inflammation and many other medical problems. This medicine is a corticosteroid.
A-Hydrocort, Solu-CORTEF, Solu-CORTEF 1000mg Vial, Solu-CORTEF 100mg Vial, Solu-CORTEF 250mg Vial, Solu-CORTEF 500mg Vial
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or into a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how hydrocortisone works. Tell you doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Aminoglutethimide, amphotericin B, carbamazepine, cholestyramine, cyclosporine, digitalis, isoniazid, ketoconazole, or phenytoin
- An antibiotic (including azithromycin, clarithromycin, erythromycin, rifampin, troleandomycin)
- Blood thinner (including warfarin)
- A diuretic (water pill)
- Estrogen, including oral contraceptive
- Medicine for diabetes (including insulin)
- An NSAID (including aspirin, celecoxib, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
- This medicine may interfere with vaccines. Ask your doctor before you get a flu shot or any other vaccines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, of if you have heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease (including cirrhosis), osteoporosis, thyroid problems, stomach or bowel problems (including ulcer, colitis, or diverticulitis), mental health problems (including depression or psychosis), pheochromocytoma (adrenal tumor), tuberculosis, or myasthenia gravis.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Adrenal gland problems
- Cataracts or glaucoma
- High blood pressure
- Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels)
- Increased risk for bone fractures and slow growth in children
- This medicine may cause you to get infections more easily. Tell your doctor if you have any type of infection before you start treatment. Avoid people who are sick or have infections. If you are exposed to chickenpox or measles, tell your doctor right away.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Depression, mood swings, trouble sleeping, unusual thoughts, feelings, or behavior
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea or vomiting, uneven heartbeat
- Eye pain, vision changes
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Changes in menstrual periods
- Muscle pain or weakness
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot was given
- Weight gain around your neck, upper back, breast, face or waist
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.