Ibritumomab (By injection)
Ibritumomab Tiuxetan (eye-bri-TOOM-oh-mab tye-UX-e-tan)
Treats non-Hodgkin lymphoma. This medicine is part of a treatment plan that also includes rituximab.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Medicines used to treat cancer are very strong and can have many side effects. Before receiving this medicine, make sure you understand all the risks and benefits. It is important for you to work closely with your doctor during your treatment.
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- You will receive this medicine while you are in a hospital or cancer treatment center. A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- Tell your doctor right away if any of this medicine gets on your skin or in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Missed dose: This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or treatment clinic for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some drugs and food can affect how ibritumomab works. Tell your doctor if you also using a blood thinner such as warfarin or an NSAID, including aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, or celecoxib.
- This medicine may interfere with vaccines. Ask your doctor before you get a flu shot or any other vaccines. You should not receive any live vaccine for 12 months after you finish treatment with this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Continue to use birth control for 12 months after your treatment ends.
- Do not breastfeed while you receive this medicine.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Increased risk for other cancer
- Serious infusion reaction or skin reaction
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- Some of the side effects with this medicine may appear up to 4 months after you stop using it.
- You will be exposed to radiation while you use this medicine. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns about this.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Cancer medicine can cause nausea or vomiting, sometimes even after you receive medicine to prevent these effects. Ask your doctor or nurse about other ways to control any nausea or vomiting that might happen.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Pain, redness, itching, or swelling where the needle is placed
- Trouble breathing, blue lips or nails, chest pain
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, tiredness, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild skin rash or itching
- Nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain. appetite loss
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.