Iobenguane I 131 (By injection)
Iobenguane I 131 (eye-oh-BEN-gwane I 131 )
Given during a scan or x-ray to help tumors show more clearly.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using the following:
- Blood pressure medicine such as labetalol, reserpine, diltiazem, nifedipine, verapamil
- Cough or cold medicine such as phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, or ephedrine
- Depression medicine such as amitriptyline, amoxapine, doxepin, imipramine, loxapine, maprotiline, nortriptyline
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, if you have kidney disease or high blood pressure, or if you are on a low-sodium diet.
- You will be exposed to radiation when you receive this medicine. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns about this.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.