Linagliptin (By mouth)
Treats type 2 diabetes.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how linagliptin works. Tell your doctor if you are using rifampin, or insulin or other diabetes medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have gallstones, or a history of heart failure, alcohol abuse, or pancreas problems.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Heart failure
- Low blood sugar levels
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Large, hard skin blisters
- Severe joint pain
- Shaking, trembling, sweating, fast or pounding heartbeat, faintness, hunger, confusion
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, lightheadedness
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Trouble breathing, cold sweat, bluish-colored skin
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Back pain
- Cough, stuffy or runny nose, sore throat
- Pain in the arms or legs
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.