Nitrofurantoin macrocrystals (By mouth)
Nitrofurantoin, Macrocrystals (nye-troe-fure-AN-toyn MAK-roe-kris-tals)
Treats urinary tract infections.
Macrodantin, Nitrofurantoin Macrocrystals
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using probenecid (Benemid®) or sulfinpyrazone (Anturane®).
- It is best not to use antacids containing magnesium trisilicate (such as Foamicon® or Gaviscon®) while you are using nitrofurantoin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, heart disease, lung disease, anemia, diabetes, a mineral imbalance in the blood, or vitamin B deficiency. Make sure your doctor knows if you have a condition called G6PD-deficiency.
- This medicine may cause your urine to be a brown color. This is normal and will not affect how the medicine works.
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Use this medicine only to treat the infection you now have. This medicine will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.
- If you take this medicine to prevent a urine infection, you may take it for a long time. Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blisters, peeling, or red skin rash.
- Cough, fever, chills, weakness, shortness of breath, or chest pain.
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Diarrhea or loose, watery stools that may contain blood.
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, or pain in your upper stomach.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness, headache, or blurred vision.
- Hair loss.
- Mild nausea, vomiting, constipation, stomach upset, or pain.
- Vaginal itching or fluids.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.