Ofloxacin (Into the ear)
Treats middle ear infections and outer ear infections ("swimmer's ear").
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only in your ear. Do not swallow the medicine, and do not put it in your eyes.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Gently clean the ear if there is any discharge. Be careful to not put a cotton swab or anything else inside the ear.
- You may warm the drops by holding the unopened bottle in your hands for a few minutes. Putting room temperature drops in your ear might make you dizzy.
- Remove the cap. Do not let the tip of the dropper touch anything, including your ear.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side. Drop the correct number of drops into the ear.
- For a middle ear infection (otitis media): Gently fold in the flap of skin at the front of the ear after you put in the drops. Let go of the flap, then fold it in again. Do this 5 times, using a pumping motion. This helps move the medicine into the middle ear.
- For an outer ear infection (otitis externa, "swimmer's ear"): Gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal.
- Keep the ear tilted up for a few minutes.
- Repeat these steps for the other ear, if needed.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Keep the bottle closed when you are not using it. Store it at room temperature, away from light and heat. Do not freeze.
- If you have single-use drops: Throw away the used plastic container right after using a dose of medicine. Do not save any medicine leftover in an open container.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Tell your doctor if you have ear drainage during the six months after you use this medicine.
- Keep your ears clean and dry while you are being treated with this medicine. Do not go swimming unless your doctor says it is okay.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Severe pain or tenderness when you put the drop in your ear.
- Skin rash.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bitter taste in your mouth
- Mild stinging, itching, or discomfort when you put the drops in your ear.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.