Perampanel (By mouth)
Treats seizures caused by epilepsy.
Fycompa, Fycompa 2-Week Sample Kit
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you. This medicine should be taken at bedtime.
- Measure the oral liquid with the bottle adapter and oral syringe provided. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: If you miss a dose of this medicine, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose. Call your doctor if you miss more than one dose of this medicine.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Throw away any unused oral liquid 90 days after the bottle is opened for the first time.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how perampanel works. Tell your doctor if you are also using carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, or St John's wort.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or a history of depression, suicidal thoughts, or mood problems.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Anger, aggression, hostility, or other mood or behavior changes
- Increased risk of depression or suicidal thoughts
- Increased risk for falls
- Drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS), which can damage organs including the liver, kidney, or heart
- This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, unsteady, or less alert. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- Birth control pills that contain levonorgestrel may not work as well while you use this medicine. Use another form of birth control together with your pills during treatment with this medicine and for at least 1 month after the last dose. Talk to your doctor if you have questions.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Depression, nervousness, restlessness, trouble sleeping
- Feeling aggressive, angry, hostile, irritable
- Swollen, painful, or tender lymph glands in the neck, armpit, or groin, yellow skin or eyes
- Trouble walking, speaking, or controlling body movements
- Unusual mood or behavior, thoughts of hurting yourself
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- Headache, dizziness
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- Stomach pain, nausea, vomiting
- Weight gain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.