Piroxicam (By mouth)
Treats pain. This is an NSAID.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use any other NSAID unless your doctor says it is okay. Some other NSAIDs are aspirin, celecoxib, diclofenac, diflunisal, ibuprofen, naproxen, or salsalate.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how piroxicam works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Cyclosporine, digoxin, lithium, methotrexate, pemetrexed
- Blood pressure medicine
- Blood thinner (including warfarin)
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Medicine to treat depression
- Steroid medicine
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant. Do not use this medicine during the later part of a pregnancy, unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, asthma, bleeding problems, heart failure, high blood pressure, other heart or circulation problems, a recent heart attack, or a history of stomach or bowel problems (including bleeding or ulcers). Tell your doctor if you smoke or drink alcohol.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Higher risk of blot clots, heart attack, stroke, or heart failure
- Bleeding and ulcers in your stomach or intestines
- Kidney damage
- Liver damage
- Serious skin reactions
- Changes in vision
- Ovulation may be delayed in some women while this medicine is being used. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns about this.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Bloody or black, tarry stools, severe stomach pain, vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
- Chest pain that may spread, trouble breathing, coughing up blood, unusual sweating, fainting
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
- Numbness or weakness on one side of your body, sudden or severe headache, problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea, vomiting, gas, or constipation
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.