Polyethylene glycol 3350/electrolytes/ascorbic acid (By mouth)
Helps empty your bowels before a colonoscopy or other medical test.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Powder for Solution
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Before you start this medicine, you may have clear soup or plain yogurt for dinner. Finish the evening meal at least 1 hour before you start this medicine. Do not eat any solid food from the time you start this treatment until after you are finished with your test.
- You may drink water or other clear liquids up until 2 hours before the time of the test, if your doctor says it is okay.
- Drink extra fluids before, during, and after you use this medicine to help replace the fluids that will be lost during your bowel movement. Do not drink anything red or purple.
- MoviPrep® can be used 2 different ways. Ask you doctor if you should follow the 2-day plan or the 1-day plan.
- To use:
- This medicine comes as a powder that you must mix with water before you drink it. Add warm water to the fill line in the container, then add the powder as directed. Do not add any extra flavoring.
- When you are ready to start, drink 8 ounces (240 milliliters (mL)) of the mixed medicine about every 15 minutes.
- About 1 hour after you drink the first glass of liquid, you should have your first loose stool or mild diarrhea. This is how the medicine cleans out your bowels. You may have bloating or an upset stomach before the loose stools start.
- Repeat these steps for the second dose.
- When you have finished drinking the mixture, add 16 ounces of water to the container and drink that, too. Do this after each dose for the 2-day plan. Do this after the last dose for the 1-day plan.
- You may refrigerate the solution before you drink it. Use the mixed medicine within 24 hours. Keep the container upright.
- If you cannot swallow the liquid, tell your doctor right away.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not take any medicine by mouth within 1 hour before you start using MoviPrep®.
- Some foods and medicine can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using a diuretic (water pill), blood pressure medicine, medicine to treat depression, or an NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib). Do not take other laxatives.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have any stomach or digestion problems. Tell your doctor if you have kidney problems, trouble swallowing, or high or low mineral levels in your blood (such as low sodium levels). Tell your doctor if you have heart disease (including angina, heart failure, recent heart attack) or a history of seizures or heart rhythm problems (such as arrhythmia, prolonged QT). Tell your doctor if you have phenylketonuria (PKU) or G6PD deficiency.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Heart rhythm problems
- Ulcers, ischemic colitis
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, and muscle twitching
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
- Vomiting, dry mouth, increased thirst
- Severe stomach pain or bloating, bloody or black stools
- Uneven heartbeat, chest pain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning, pain, or itching around your anus
- Mild nausea, bloating
- Weakness, tiredness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/12/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.