Prochlorperazine (By injection)
Treats severe nausea and vomiting. Also treats schizophrenia. This medicine is a phenothiazine.
PremierPro Rx Prochlorperazine Edisylate, Prochlorperazine Edisylate Novaplus
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine. This medicine is given through a needle into a muscle or vein.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how prochlorperazine works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Blood thinner (such as warfarin)
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Blood pressure or heart medicine (such as guanethidine or propranolol)
- Medicine to treat seizures (such as phenytoin)
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, low blood pressure, glaucoma, seizures, or a history of breast cancer.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Tardive dyskinesia (a muscle disorder that could become permanent)
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (a nerve disorder that could be life-threatening)
- Extrapyramidal reaction (a muscle and nerve disorder)
- Overheating, because your body may not be able to cool down as it normally would
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine if you have a myelography (type of spinal x-ray).
- If this medicine is being used by a child, tell the doctor if the child gets sick or becomes dehydrated (such as from vomiting and diarrhea). If the child becomes nervous and overly excited, do not give any more medicine.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often. Tell your doctor if you have bone marrow problems or if you have ever had a blood disorder, such as low blood cell counts.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Jerky muscle movement you cannot control (often in your face, tongue, or jaw)
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Fever, sweating, confusion, uneven heartbeat, muscle stiffness
- Severe sleepiness
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Mild tiredness or sleepiness
- Missed menstrual period
- Restlessness, excitement
- Skin redness, swelling, pain, or burning where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.