Pyrantel (By mouth)
Treats worm infections such as pinworms and roundworms. Belongs to a class of drugs called anthelmintics.
Ascarel, Reese's Pinworm Medicine
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- May be taken with or without food.
- Shake the oral liquid well just before each use. Measure the correct amount with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, light, and moisture. The oral liquid may be refrigerated, but do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- If you are taking pyrantel for hookworms or whipworms, ask your doctor about taking iron supplements.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking theophylline. Your dose may need to be adjusted.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, talk to your doctor before taking pyrantel.
- Pyrantel may make you dizzy. Be careful when driving a car or operating machinery.
- Have all members of your household checked because pinworm infections are easily spread from one person to another.
- To avoid being re-infected, wash your bedding and night clothes in hot soapy water.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash, hives, or itching
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stomach cramps, nausea, or vomiting
- Headache, dizziness
- Trouble sleeping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.