Ticagrelor (By mouth)
Helps prevent stroke, heart attack, and other heart problems. This medicine is a blood thinner.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed. Take this medicine at the same time every day.
- Your doctor may tell you to take aspirin with this medicine. Do not use more than 100 milligrams of aspirin per day. Check the labels of other medicines to make sure they do not contain aspirin.
- If you cannot swallow the tablet, you may do this:
- Crush the tablet and mix it in a glass of water. Drink it right away. Rinse the glass with more water and drink that too, so you get all the medicine.
- You may give the tablet and water mixture through a nasogastric tube. Flush the tube with more water so you receive all the medicine.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Skip the missed dose and take your next dose as usual. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how ticagrelor works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Atazanavir, carbamazepine, clarithromycin, digoxin, indinavir, itraconazole, ketoconazole, lovastatin, nefazodone, nelfinavir, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifampin, ritonavir, saquinavir, simvastatin, telithromycin, or voriconazole
- Blood thinner (including warfarin or heparin)
- NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (including celecoxib, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, heart rhythm problems (including slow heartbeat), lung or breathing problems (such as asthma or COPD), or a history of bleeding problems.
- This medicine may cause you to bleed and bruise more easily, and it may take longer than usual for bleeding to stop. Be careful to avoid injuries.
- Do not stop using this medicine unless your doctor tells you to. To stop it may increase your risk of a heart attack, blood clot, or other serious problem.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. With your doctor's permission, you may need to stop using this medicine several days before you have surgery to reduce the risk of bleeding problems. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or black, tarry stools, red or dark brown urine
- Fast, slow, or pounding heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.