Vasopressin (By injection)
Raises blood pressure in patients with vasodilatory shock.
Vasopressin Novaplus, Vasostrict
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot under your skin, into a muscle, or into a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how vasopressin works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Chlorpropamide, clozapine, cyclophosphamide, demeclocycline, ifosfamide, enalapril, felbamate, foscarnet, furosemide, haloperidol, indomethacin, lithium, methyldopa, pentamidine, vincristine
- Tricyclic (TCA) medicine for depression
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Tell your doctor if you have heart problems or blood vessel disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain that may spread, trouble breathing, nausea, unusual sweating, fainting
- Confusion, weakness, and muscle twitching
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.