Maryland Heart Center
About the Heart
UMMC's Heart and Heart Surgery Program ranked as
one of the nation's 50 best
by U.S. News &
2010 "Best Hospitals" survey.
How Many Calories and Fat Grams Do You Need?
Assess your activity level, first
This formula will help you to calculate the number of calories and percentage
of fat grams you need each day at your current weight if you are relatively
inactive to moderately active.
- moderately active person = a working person who doesn't do a great deal
- relatively inactive person = a person with a sedentary lifestyle
- if you're more than moderately active, calorie needs may have to be adjusted
so that you don't lose weight
To maintain your current weight, follow this formula
To determine the number of calories and fat grams you need to consume each day
in order to lose or gain weight, consult your doctor or a registered dietitian.
- Write your body weight in the equation that fits your activity level and
gender. Then, multiply.
- Moderately active male:
_____ pounds x 15 calories = _____ total calories per day.
- Moderately active female:
____ pounds x 12 calories = _____ total calories per day.
- Relatively inactive male:
____ pounds x 13 calories = _____ total calories per day.
- Relatively inactive female:
____ pounds x 10 calories = _____ total calories per day.
- Take total calories and multiply by 30 percent.
____ calories per day x .30 = ____ calories from fat per day.
- Take calories from fat per day and divide by 9 (there are 9 calories per
gram of fat):
____ calories from fat per day divided by 9 =____ fat grams per day.
Remember, saturated fats should account for only 10 percent of the total fat
Please call if you would like to make an
appointment or talk to someone about our services. Patients dial 1-866-408-6885, physicians dial 410-328-6622 or 1-800-318-1019.