Seasonal Advice from UMMC Experts
The holidays are a joyous season, but inevitably seem to be associated with weight gain followed
by the infamous New Year's resolutions. Here are a few tips to keep your weight gain to a
minimum this holiday season.
All tips provided by Verlyn
Warrington, M.D., M.S.
- Ask for or give the gift of health -- give or ask for that exercise DVD that you have just
been dying to try out.
- Are you going to the mall for that perfect last minute gift? Power walk around the mall before
you start to shop.
- Offer to bring a healthy, low calorie dish to the party. Make healthy substitutions in your
recipes. For example, use wheat bread in bread pudding instead of white, or skim milk instead of
- Enjoy the foods that make the holidays special for you, but don't indulge in everything on the
- Eat regularly during the holidays. Don't starve yourself saving all the calories for that big
party. You will be more likely to overeat and ingest more calories than if you had small meals
throughout the day.
- Limit your alcohol intake. Remember, one gram of alcohol contains more calories than one gram of
This page was last updated on:
- The holidays are wonderful, but can be stressful. Set aside time for relaxation and exercise.
December 21, 2009.