Help for Media Professionals
University of Maryland Medical Center/System and School of Medicine News
The Media Relations Team assists members of the news media with all of the elements necessary to develop and report stories at the University of Maryland Medical Center, University of Maryland Medical System and the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Media relations staff members help reporters, producers and editors to find experts on particular topics, set up interviews and provide video and other materials. We have an onsite TV studio with 24/7 satellite capabilities for live or taped interviews with our experts on breaking medical/science news and timely health features.
For immediate assistance please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
On-site visits by news media for any purpose including photography, videography or interviews of patients, their families, staff or physicians must be arranged in advance via the Media Relations Team.
- A member of the Media Relations Team must escort the news media (or any professional photographer, writer or videographer on assignment) at all times when they are at a UMMS facility.
- Members of the media who are working on assignment must identify themselves as such to hospital staff. This policy also applies to any UMMS events where media may be present.
- Photography/videography by the news media at any UMMS facility without prior approval by the Media Relations Team is not permitted.
- The use of UMMS facilities as a backdrop or “location” for photography or videography with or without inclusion of patients or staff also requires prior approval.
For assistance in covering stories and to schedule an interview with our experts, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- This is the quickest way to reach a member of the media relations staff. Messages are monitored 24/7; urgent messages will receive immediate attention.
- Please include your contact information in the body or signature of your e-mail, state how we can be of assistance and include your deadline.
- During normal business hours you may also reach the Media Relations Team at 410-328-8919.
Please direct inquiries regarding patient conditions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Media must provide the correct first and last name of any patient about whom they are inquiring.
- Per federal privacy guidelines, we are able to provide one-word conditions about patients in our care: Critical, Serious, Fair or Good.
- We may also report that a patient has been discharged.
- Conditions about minors in our care will not be released unless consent has been granted by the parent or guardian.
If you are a member of the news media and would like to receive our news releases via e-mail, click here. To see current news releases, click here.
Joint University of Maryland Medical School/University of Maryland Medical Center/System Media Relations Team:
Vice President, Media Relations & Corporate Communications
Lisa Clough, MS Ed.
Director, Media Relations & Corporate Communications
Media Relations Director (Community Hospitals and Corporate)
Assistant Director of Media Relations
Senior Media Relations Manager
For patient inquiries or to make an appointment call 1-800-492-5538.