Pastoral Care Services
Resources for Jewish Patients
The University of Maryland Medical Center is committed to serving the religious needs of Jewish
We do this in many ways, including:
- Providing a Kosher Pantry,
stocked with food from Bikur Cholim, that includes a refrigerator, freezer, microwave, sink,
conference-sized table for Shabbat meals and a bed for Shabbat stays.
- Offering Kosher meals for inpatients, catered by local Star-K caterer: Yaffa,
all low in salt.
- Providing portable refrigerator and electric Shabbat candles for patient
- Offering access to ritual supplies for: Shabbat, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur,
Sukkot, Chanukah, Purim, and Passover. Daily prayer books also available.
- Helping celebrate Shabbat and holidays as comfortably as possible, including
special services for:
We collaborate with Bikur
Cholim (the Committee for Visiting the Sick) and the Chevra Kadisha (the Burial Society) to
offer these resources.
For more information or to access these services before or during a hospital admission, please
call 410-328-6014. If you need these services after hours, please ask your nurse
to page the Chaplain.
This page was last updated on:
September 7, 2010.