The University of Maryland Children's Hospital (UMCH), as we know it today, has evolved slowly over time.
Below is a timeline, chronicling some of the events that have shaped UMCH from the turn of the century to the present.
This page was last updated on:
- 1916 - John Rurah, M.D., joins the faculty at the University
of Maryland School of Medicine. Rurah enjoyed an international reputation
as a pediatric scholar after he wrote a beautifully illustrated and popular
book called The History of Pediatrics. Rurah was also a close friend of President
Franklin D. Roosevelt. Like Roosevelt, he suffered from polio. In 1927, he
helped the President to establish the Warm Springs Poliomyelitis Foundation
in Warm Springs, Georgia -- the country's first organization dedicated to
- 1918 - Charles Summers, M.D., becomes the first Chief of Pediatrics
at University Hospital. Pediatrics was then still a part of the Department
of Medicine, and the notion of children being treated any differently than
adults was still not widely accepted. Summers ran a large, outpatient clinic
and saw many pediatric patients there. He devoted his life to caring for underprivileged
children after losing his only child.
- 1925 - Samuel Shipley Glick, M.D., graduates from the University
of Maryland School of Medicine and begins his pediatrics training with Abraham
Finkelstein, M.D. at the University of Maryland's outpatient department.
Glick enjoyed a 40-year career at the University of Maryland that included
tenure as associate professor of pediatrics.
- 1934 - The new University Hospital Building on Greene Street opens
its doors to patients. The pediatric wards are housed on the fifth floor.
- 1934 - Edmund J. Bradley, M.D., joins the medical residency
program at the University of Maryland.
- 1948 - Bradley agrees to become the first full-time Chief of
Pediatrics on the condition that Pediatrics is allowed to break away from
the Department of Medicine and become its own autonomous department. Bradley
also insists that improvements and upgrades be made to the new department's
- 1948 - Pediatrics gains its independence from the Department of Medicine,
and becomes its own separate department. It was at this time that the care
of children became a specialty in its own right with its own disciplines.
- 1948 - One of the first things Bradley does as the head of
the new Department of Pediatrics is to desegregate the pediatric wards. Despite
resistance from some patients and staff members, Bradley forges ahead. For
the first time in the hospital's history, children of all races were treated
together in the same facilities. It is interesting to note that University
Hospital's pediatric wards were desegregated nearly 20 years before the Civil
Rights Act of 1965 ended legal racial segregation in the United States.
- 1949 - Bradley gets a lot of media attention for a study he
conducts on epidemic viral vomiting. He found that the pH in Coca-Cola syrup
decreased stomach contractions. Articles about his study appear in the Ladies
Home Journal, the Wall Street Journal and many other publications.
- 1956 - Bradley publishes a study that found that children
in low-income, inner-city neighborhoods had abnormally high rates of lead
poisoning. The study encouraged public health officials to test children living
in these areas since cases of lead poisoning can be asymptomatic. This study
led to others about managing lead poisoning in metropolitan areas and treating
it with Ca EDTA.
- 1964 - Bradley's teaching and training program for interns
and residents is rated one of the top five in the nation by the American Medical
- 1968 - Marvin Cornblath, M.D., takes over as head of the Department
of Pediatrics. Under his leadership, the department grows significantly. Within
the first year of his tenure, the department balloons from having six or seven
residents to about 36 residents.
- 1969 - The Department of Pediatrics really begins to mature and come
into its own. Cornblath saw to it that the specialties of oncology,
hematology, cardiology, neurology and psychology are incorporated into the
department. It was also during this time that the department begins a neonatal
transport program, where babies from counties throughout the state are flown
by helicopter to the department's neonatal intensive care unit.
- 1970 - The old University Hospital Building, which was constructed
in 1824, is torn down. The old building, which was located on Lombard and
Greene Streets, had housed the pediatric outpatient department and pediatric
emergency room. They are moved to the fifth floor of the new University Hospital
Building on Greene Street.
- 1970 - Felix Heald, M.D., founds the Division of Adolescent
Medicine in July of this year.
- 1974 - Myron Levine, M.D., and Richard Hornick, M.D.,
establish the Clinical Research Center for Vaccine Development. In 1976, because
of its rapid growth and expansion, the Clinical Research Center becomes the
Center for Vaccine Development (CVD). Over the years, the CVD has developed
into an international leader in vaccine research for children and adults with
- 1976 - Michael Berman, M.D., joins the Department of Pediatrics
as director of pediatric cardiology. Berman had already gained notoriety before
coming to Maryland for a device he'd developed as director of Yale University's
cardiac catheterization lab called the Berman Angiographic Catheter. Today,
the Berman Catheter is used at hospitals around the world to diagnose cardiac
problems in pediatric patients.
- 1977 - The University of Maryland begins one of the country's first
primary care residency programs. With its focus on internal medicine, pediatrics
and nursing, the program establishes the University of Maryland as a leader
in primary health care.
- 1984 - Berman takes over as head of the Department of Pediatrics.
During his tenure, the department focuses on further developing pediatric
specialties such as behavioral and developmental pediatrics and adolescent
- 1984 - The Department of Pediatrics and the School of Nursing collaborate
with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the March of
Dimes to train nurses in the follow-up care of high-risk infants. As a result,
about 400 nurses throughout the state were trained to care for infants with
- 1984 - The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) is established with
an emphasis on clinical research. The Department of Pediatrics becomes recognized
as a national leader in medical training and tertiary care. Community hospitals
know that they can send difficult cases to the Medical Center because of our
expertise and resources.
- 1987 - The pediatric emergency room moves to the first floor of the
Medical Center from the fifth floor.
- 1999 - Jay Perman, M.D., a distinguished specialist in pediatric
gastroenterology, is named professor and chairman of the Department of Pediatrics
at the School of Medicine, and Chief of Pediatrics at UMCH. Perman came to
the University of Maryland from the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond,
where he was chairman of pediatrics and medical director of the Children's
- 2000 - Researchers, led by the UMCH's Alessio Fasano, M.D.,
learn more about the nature of an autoimmune disorder called celiac disease.
Their findings, which were published in the medical journal The Lancet,
suggest that high levels of zonulin may contribute to celiac disease.
- 2001 - After having briefly been merged
with the Department of General Pediatrics, the Division of Adolescent
and Young Adult Medicine, which serves about 6,000 young people in
the Baltimore area, becomes recognized as a fully established academic
division with students training in adolescent care. Community outreach,
preventive care and outstanding tertiary services are hallmarks of
May 10, 2011.
For more information about UMCH or to make an appointment,
please call 1-866-408-6885 (patients) or 1-800-373-4111 (physicians).