Division of Plastic Surgery
What is Plastic Surgery?
Important Information for Patients
Preparing for surgery:
As with any type of surgery, there are certain preparations that need to take
place -- determining which ones will depend on what type of surgery is taking
place and which type of anesthesia will be administered. The following are considerations
for you to discuss with your physician/surgeon prior to your procedure:
This page was last updated on:
- Ask the surgeon to explain the benefits, risks, and expectations of the
- Discuss what type of anesthesia will be administered and what recovery time
- Inform your physician of any medications (over-the-counter or prescription)
you are currently taking, as well as any prior procedures, history of chronic
illnesses, and/or allergies you may have.
- Be sure to stop drinking and eating for the recommended time period before
and/or after surgery.
- Be sure to follow any specific pre-operative bathing, shaving, or cleaning
- Be sure to discuss any post-operative instructions that need to be followed
(i.e., changing dressings, post-op medications, follow-up appointments, etc.).
- Do not wear makeup the day of surgery, including nail polish.
- Do not wear eye contacts the day of surgery.
- Leave valuables and jewelry at home.
- Advise the medical staff of dentures or other prosthetic devices you may
- Be sure to arrange all insurance coverage prior to surgery, as many insurance
carriers do not cover many types of plastic surgery procedures (particularly
- Be sure to arrange a ride home after your procedure.
September 20, 2007.
For more information about UM Division of Plastic Surgery or to make an appointment, please call 1-800-492-5538 or 410-328-2360 (patients) or 1-800-373-4111 (physicians).