7. Perform chest compressions:
8. Give the child 2 more breaths. The chest should rise.
9. Continue CPR (30 chest compressions followed by 2 breaths, then repeat) for about 2 minutes.
10. After about 2 minutes of CPR, if the child still does not have normal breathing, coughing, or any movement, leave the child if you are alone and call 911. If an AED for children is available, use it now.
11. Repeat step 9 until the child recovers or help arrives.
If the child starts breathing again, place them in the recovery position. Periodically re-check for breathing until help arrives.
© 2011 University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). All rights reserved.
UMMC is a member of the University of Maryland Medical System,
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. TDD: 1-800-735-2258 or 1.866.408.6885