Breast Imaging and Mammography
The University of Maryland Breast Center offers convenience, comfort and peace of mind for women seeking breast care.
Comprehensive multimodality screening, rapid diagnosis and treatment for women with all types of conditions of the breast are available at our state-of-the-art facility, conveniently located on the first floor in the medical center's Weinberg Atrium.
The Breast Center combines the expertise of our dedicated fellowship trained breast imagers and long-established multidisciplinary Breast Evaluation and Treatment Program including genetic counseling, dedicated breast and plastic surgeons, and oncologists with expertise in breast cancer.
Breast Exams and Procedures
Mammography is a non-invasive radiological examination of the breast using a special imaging device. A mammography exam, called a mammogram, is used to aid in the diagnosis of breast diseases in women.
Mammograms are used as a screening tool to detect early breast cancer in women with no symptoms and to detect and diagnose breast disease in women experiencing symptoms such as a lump, pain or nipple discharge.
3D Mammography | Tomosynthesis
Learn about the benefits of a 3D mammogram.
3D Mammography, also known as Digital Breast Tomosynthesis, is the newest digital mammography technology that provides a set of images of the breast that allow to evaluate the breast tissue layer by layer- making fine details more visible and no longer hidden by overlapping breast tissue.
- 3D Mammography has improved mammography performance in women of all ages and breast density
- Increases the detection of invasive breast cancer by as much as 40% compared to standard mammography
- Lowers the chance of having to return for more imaging
- Digital mammography
- Diagnostic breast ultrasound with elastography
- 3 Tesla and 1.5 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Contrast enhanced mammography for patients who cannot have a breast MRI
- Computerized tomography (CT)
- Stereotactic biopsy
- Fine-needle aspiration
- Preoperative image-guided needle localization
- Clinical breast evaluation and follow-up with our experienced multidisciplinary Breast Evaluation and Treatment team
- Second opinion consultation
- Genetic counseling
- Reconstructive surgery consultation
University of Maryland Medical Center
1st floor Weinberg Atrium
22 South Greene Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Meet the Breast Imaging and Mammography Team
Sergio Dromi, MD
Chief of Breast Imaging
Assistant Professor of Diagnostic Radiology
To schedule your mammogram, call The Breast Imaging Center at 410-328-3225.