Epidemiology and Public Health
The Department of Epidemiology and Public Health applies population-based research to clinical care and determines disease risk factors. The department's extensive database systems help physicians advise patients about key elements in health promotion and disease prevention. Research and teaching faculty are available for consultation in the areas listed below.
The department contracts with clinics, HMOs, hospitals and other health care providers to:
- Design survey instruments and collect data for studies, trials and evaluations
- Assist in developing population-based research projects
- Investigate and consult regarding epidemic situations in hospitals and in the community
- Conduct health outcomes and Meta-analysis research
- Evaluate the effectiveness of services and technology
- Use technology for health care information management and statistical modeling
For more information about the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health or to contact an epidemiologist, call the University Physicians Consultation and Referral Service at 1-800-492-5538 (patients) or 1-800-373-4111 (physicians).