We will be interviewing for positions beginning in July 2015. ERAS will be used for applications to our program for fellowship. For more information, contact ERAS. We will also be participating in the NRMP match. You must contact the NRMP for detailed information and enrollment in the match. The schedule for the application process can be found here.
Additional information about Gastroenterology training can be found at the web site for the American Gastroenterological Association.
You will have the opportunity to submit your application to the University of Maryland Program, Combined University of Maryland/NIH Scholars Program, or both through the NRMP web site. Our programs use the following NRMP program numbers:
- 1252144F0 University of Maryland Program
- 1252144F1 University of Maryland/NIH Scholars Program
Review of applications begins in July when the ERAS post office opens to programs. Applicants are urged to complete their applications prior to this time, although applications are reviewed up to August 31.
The following materials must be submitted through ERAS no later than August 31:
- ERAS application
- Curriculum vitae (ERAS format is acceptable)
- Personal statement
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) or "Dean's letter"
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably including one from the Chair of the Department of Medicine or Residency Program Director
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE Step 1 scores
- USMLE Step 2 scores
- Your email address
For other correspondence, you can reach us at [email protected] or:
Gastroenterology Fellowship Coordinator
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
University of Maryland Medical Center
22 South Greene Street, Rm N3W62
Baltimore, MD 21201-1595
Upon review of these materials, you will receive an email informing you if an interview has been granted. Interviews are conducted from early August through October. Reduced rates at nearby hotels are available, click here for more information.
I M P O R T A N T : After applying to our program, please check your email frequently. Invitations, confirmation of your interview, and other correspondence will be sent ONLY via email.
If you are an International Medical Graduate, please note the following requirements. Further information about visas is available on our GME web site.
- Valid ECFMG certificate, including successful completion of the CSA.
- The University of Maryland Medical Center adheres to the standards and guidelines for the employment of non-immigrants as established by federal immigration laws and the U.S. Department of Labor. Non-immigrant alien residents or fellows will be sponsored under the J-1 visa program unless they have graduated from an accredited U.S. medical school.
- Board eligibility in Internal Medicine prior to starting the Fellowship in Gastroenterology, which usually requires current enrollment or completion of a three-year residency in an approved training program in Internal Medicine in the United States prior to fellowship.
- Although specific minimum USMLE scores are not required for the residency program, it is highly desirable to have USMLE scores over 215 for all applicants. Applicants with failing USMLE scores will not be granted interviews.
We welcome applications from all qualified individuals irrespective of sex, racial or ethnic background, religious affiliation or marital status. For applicants with questions about disabilities and similar issues, please see the GME web site.
For patient inquiries, call 1-800-492-5538 or If you prefer, you may call the division directly at 410-328-5780.