Department of Social Work
Patients who are referred to social workers may have complex psychosocial needs including lack of resources, limited family support, communication barriers or maladjustment to illness.
The Department of Social Work serves patients in all age groups from premature infants through geriatric patients, and with all types of medical conditions. Social workers will provide service for any patient regardless of their payer status. Social work interventions provided hospital wide average 31,500 annually.
Clinical Social Work Activities
- Psychosocial assessments
- Patient and family counseling
- Health education
- Counseling for victims of abuse
- Community referrals
- Outpatient counseling
- Substance abuse
- Legal assistance guardianship
- Advance directives
- Support groups
The Department is comprised of master's level, licensed professionals who work with doctors, nurses and other care providers to provide quality health care for patients and support and guidance for their families.
On-call Social Work Services
- To entire Medical Center on weekends from Friday at 5:00 p.m. to Monday at 8:00 a.m.
- On major holidays from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 a.m. the next day.
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Weekend in-house coverage 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Shock Trauma, Adult E.R. and Peds E.R. (Sat. & Sun.)
University of Maryland Medical Center
Department of Social Work Room #S1A10
22 S. Greene Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
For patient inquiries or to make an appointment, call 1-800-492-5538.
After-hour referrals voicemail 410-328-6700.