At the University of Maryland (UM) Center for Weight Management and Wellness, we are committed to providing patients with the tools they need to achieve and maintain weight loss. Bariatric surgery is one of the tools. We also emphasize diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes as critical to successful weight control.
Learn more about our services including bariatric surgery procedures and our nonsurgical weight loss program.
University of Maryland: Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery
Attend a Free
We are dedicated to long-term weight loss success for our patients through bariatric surgery and lifestyle changes. Since 2007, we have been a Center of Excellence as designated by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) for our bariatric surgery program.
The designation demonstrates that excellence is built through teamwork. The outstanding outcomes we have achieved for our bariatric surgery patients show that we meet high standards in our program. Our team approach, with experts from different specialties, provides comprehensive treatment for our weight loss patients.
Mark Kligman, MD, director of the UM Center for Weight Management and Wellness, is our head surgeon. He leads a team of physicians, nurses, registered dietitians and staff. Meet our team and find out how we can help you get started on your journey to better health.
Dedicated Bariatric Surgery Unit
Our commitment to weight loss patients includes an inpatient unit created specifically for bariatric surgery patients and other overweight patients. We designed our 32 all-private rooms for the comfort and safety of our patients. The rooms feature:
- Extra-sturdy bathroom fixtures for your support if you need to lean on them
- Loveseats that fold flat for loved ones to stay overnight
- Sturdy, large beds and furniture
- Wider doorways
Other features in the unit include:
- Advanced patient monitoring capabilities in all the rooms so that nurses can provide intermediate care (if needed) right in the unit
- Ample space for patients to begin walking after surgery to speed recovery
- Location just two floors below the operating rooms, so that loved ones can wait for patients in their rooms
- Restorative environment with scenery and a comfortable waiting area for loved ones
If you would like to make an appointment or talk to someone about our services, please call 1-800-492-5538 (patients) or 1-800-373-4111 or 410-328-8940 (physicians).