Weight Loss Surgery Support Group
For more information about our support group, call us at 410-328-8940.
Attend a Free
One of our registered dietitians hosts our free support group each month. Specifically designed for our postoperative patients, our group is a safe place to share feelings, find motivation and support and start building a new life.
Studies show that support groups like ours can increase the chances of short-term and long-term success for our patients after bariatric surgery. We welcome significant others to attend with our patients, as part of their support system.
Each support group meeting includes:
- A presentation by our registered dietitian
- Discussion among members about that month’s topic and nutrition
- An “Ask the Doctor” segment and speakers, when other weight loss health professionals attend (not every meeting)
- Time for questions from patients at the beginning of their weight loss surgery journey
- Social interaction
Members of our postop weight loss support group can build a community of friends among people who really understand what they’re going through. Surrounded by people who support their goals, our members:
- Consider issues about obesity as a disease
- Discuss personal or professional issues that arise after bariatric surgery
- Receive the latest weight loss information
After their weight loss surgery, our patients are learning a new way of life and how to make sense of the role that food plays in their lives. Our support group focuses on:
- Developing new eating and drinking behaviors
- Learning a new relationship with food
- Managing nutritional and physical health, as well as emotional, mental, psychological and spiritual well-being
Our meeting location, dates and topics are as follows:
Weight Loss Support Group: Locations
Baltimore Washington Medical Center
Main Hospital, Third Floor
301 Hospital Drive
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
We provide free parking.
Eastern Shore Support Group (Queenstown)
Maryland Primary Care Physicians
125 Shoreway Drive, Suite 120
Queenstown, MD 21658
Weight Loss Support Group: Dates and Topics
Tate Center Location
We meet on the third Wednesday of each month:
- Group meeting: 7 to 8 p.m.
- Social time: 8 to 8:30 p.m.
Our schedule is as follows:
- 10/19/2016 Sorting out the Supplements: A through Zinc
- 11/16/2016 LOCATION CHANGE TBA
- 12/21/2016 Tips to Distract from Trigger Foods, the 5-5-5-5-5 Exercise
*Clothing Exchange: Renew your closet! Bring items that you no longer wear to trade with others. All clothing must be clean and in good condition. Extra clothing will be donated to Goodwill.
We meet on the first Tuesday evening of each month at 6 p.m.
For more information, contact: Dr. Jamie Harms or Vickie Duncan at 410-827-4001.
First Wednesday night of the month at 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Support for all our weight loss patients.
No appetite, cravings returning, honeymoon period over? You don’t have to be alone. Join with an experienced facilitator and other patients who understand what you are going through.
You will not be on camera, so no need to be concerned about how you appear.
For more information, call 410-328-8940.
Connect with others like you online through our Facebook group for the UMMC Bariatric Surgery Postoperative Community. This is a closed group, available by invitation only to our postoperative patients. It provides an intimate and supportive environment for sharing information and experiences.